Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The loss of followers

Oh geez! That title sounds like I am a cult leader doesn't it? LOL!

I was informed last night that if I didn't update my blog I'd be losing followers! So here's an update about what's going on at Wandering Bear Farm. The past couple weeks I have had a huge burden on my shoulders. After the last storm my stomach has been a mess over the problems with lack of insulation and proper weatherization of this old house when they updated the siding and the interior. I have been so twisted up that it ruined sleep and my appetite. If you don't know me by now, I can get pretty obsessed about stuff. I also have just a small amount of ability to worry over stuff .... Now at this point I can hear most of you laughing hilariously at that understatement. I'll pop you on the side of your head next time we see each other. OK? (G)

As soon as the storm ended. and I cleared my head, I settled down, I sat down and wrote a polite but direct letter to my landlord describing the three days of storm effects on me and the house. In the meantime I talked continually with my best friend and old roommate, Michael and we came up with a "Plan B' so I had something to fall back on just in case. Within a few days I got an email from the landlord telling me she'd be out as soon as possible to see these issues for herself. Yesterday she came out with one of the family's handymen and I showed them all of the issues. For the most part the handyman agreed with me about particular remedies that could be handled immediately. A couple items are going to take more organization and time.

Foam insulation is going to be blown in along the sill plate and foundation, measurements were taken for a new storm door for the "back door", and we figured out where leaks might be in the duct system. At some point the attic will be insulated but that's going to take some time to get done. Reality is that this is a very old farm house. It's going to have it's list of issues and it's going to have it's challenges. But it's nice to know I do have the support of the owners to keep the property in good condition. Hopefully these upgrades will make the next few winter storms a bit more bearable.

I am so happy here the thought of having to move because the house is not habiltable would be overwhelming. Oh sure I'd be a mess during the move and resettlement process but for sure I would land on my feet like I always seem to do. Maybe I'd have a scar or three, but maybe I'd do like I usually do and chaulk it up with the other life experiences that make me the man I am today. Not many people have the nerve or drive to take on a challenge like this and I am aware of that. Trying not to sound arrogant, I am pretty proud of my acheivements out here, emotionally and physically. And I have a million more dreams and ideas that I'd like to see happen on this little piece of land.

But of course without a small circle of very close friends none of this would be possible. Your phone calls, emails, dinners, and constant concern get me through the long, quiet, lonely days. For all of you in my life I am truly forever grateful.

And to date, that is Life at Wandering Bear Farm! ~B.

1 comment:

  1. Barry, You do have IT and no one else could handle all the challenges of your life with the ultimate grace you somehow muster. Yes, you do fall apart at first. But--don't we all? Here's to the cozy homeand homesteader on the High Plains.

    ReplyDelete