Friday, October 30, 2009

The three day storm

What a few days I have had! The forecasters did warn of a storm headed our way but there were three systems involved and even the computers didn't seem to have answers. Out here it started at dark on Tuesday the 27th when the winds began picking up.

I began taking notes that afternoon just out of curiousity to see how things would progress. It'll probably put most of you asleep but here are a few stats:

Tuesday 4pm
48F
0 wind chill
Winds 11mph
Gusts 15mph
Just a couple drfits left from last week's storm.



Tuesday 9pm
36F
24F Wind Chill
Winds 24mph
Gusts 32mph

Wednesday 6am
27F
12F Wind Chill
Winds 26mph
Gusts 42mph








Thursday 9am
24F
3F Wind Chill
Winds 41mph
Gusts 56mph

Thursday 7pm
20F
7F Wind Chill
Winds 25F
Gusts 31mph

This storm was a reality check for me. I know that this area is well known for heafty storms. That's not an issue with me. What was the shocker is that this house is not up to standards that make it comfortable to live in during conditions like I went through the last three days.


Previously I'd noticed air movement during high winds that was coming from along the baseboards. Thursday I found a layer of snow had blown in on the carpet in the bedroom and living room from along the same spots. bacci's bed had a layer of snow on it.


I had to put blankets up in the stairway to keep the cold air upstairs. Apparently the landlord sort of misrepresented herself about the place being well insulated. You can feel cold air passing through the walls. So then partioned off the desk area and used a heater to keep it somewhat warm.... Until the breaker popped. It got up to a balmy 51F. So I am trying to come up with Plan B and move my desk downstairs to my bedroom and shut off the upstairs until Spring.


I don't want anyone who reads this to be too worried that I am going to freeze to death. I am a survivor. I have put far too much hard work and money into making this place "mine" to sit idle and wait for a miracle of change. And I don't plan to sit in my living room and watch snow drifts form in front of my chair!


Friday 7am
15F
5F Wind Chill
Winds 7mph
Gusts 9mph

The blue sky and sunrise were a very comforting thing to see!



Friday 2pm
45F
0 Wind Chill
Winds 11mph
Gusts12mph


I am sure that everyone wants to know snow totals but there's no way to tell out here. The snow was blowing horizontal the whole storm. My snow is in New Mexico! Blizzard warnings were out and most roads were closed during Thursday.


Regardless of all this happening, all will work out. My glass is half full!

2 comments:

  1. Barry,
    Can you drop a bead of caulk in cracks or use the foam insultion in aerosol cans to stop air leaks? I do hope and pray that the landlord responds quickly and effectively.
    Much love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have Jeff show you the toilet paper trick... You need rolls of paper and a putty knife. garyandjeff

    ReplyDelete