Thursday, October 1, 2009

Investing in the future

Here's today's work waiting for me ...



Yesterday began bright and early for me. I woke up feeling beaten up and bruised from the previous day's visit to the dentist and a neurology appointment to test the nerves in my arms, hands, feet, and legs. If you don't know about it basically the stick small needles into the muscles, send a pulse of electricity through the muscles and see if it twitches or you scream like holy he** and go through the ceiling. Then just to make sure it was a correct response they preform the test on the same location again. I think they are all secretively (or not) into SM! Anyway, I came home from a long drive extremely tired on Monday.


Yesterday morning I was trying to get my steam up to go out and do chores and was cruising through the farm and garden section on Craig's List. In the past I have found some pretty good deals on used items that may have ended up at the dump. I like to know that I have recycled and item and that I have save a lot of money. I bought a flat head scoop shovel on CL for $2.00 and the cheapest one at Home Depot was $27.00. $25.00 is a huge savings for me.


So as I was looking through the ads so badly wanting to buy every horse, goat, and chicken I saw an ad for hay. I have been going to the local Big R Farm Supply to buy my hay about each week and a half. Big R is a big fancy farm supply store that is pricey and the customer service just bites big ones. (Being a veteran of retail management I know good service when I see it) And they sure as shoot have it. And I hate giving up money to stores that don't have good service. My mind has been eating at me for a couple months. I have to make a large hay purchase to get my goats through winter. Hay is much like heating oil. The colder and nastier the weather the higher the price. I was paying $7.99 to 8.99 a bale at the farm store and yesterday I got it for $5.00 a bale!!!


Once again my friends Al & Bill of the Matrix Compound joined forces and we all had a productive busy day. Bill and I drove in his truck and hauling a trailer about 70 miles north of here to a hay ranch to pick up some hay for me. These guys (Al & Bill) do just about anything for me, and me for them. I've discovered that pooling our resources whether its knowledge or brute strength or neighborly support is a wonderful thing! So I'd planned to buy about 40 bales. After seeing the high quality of the hay Bill decided he wanted some. So we brought home 95 bales.


I'm taking 50 bales since my barn is so small and Bill's taking 45. It was a big outlay of cash but now I can sleep easier knowing that I have invested in the future feed bill and should carry me through until about February and I'm not bleeding money out to a store I don't care for.


And if you haven't done the math:

50 bales @ $7.99 = $399.00 Big R

50 bales @ $5.00 = $250.00 Rancher


Get the picture?

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, and God Bless the guys.Have you had the cold that dropped snow in your region?
    We have been cool and no rain although today it is threatening.

    ReplyDelete