Monday, October 19, 2009

The plots

After last week's horrible fogs and freezing, the weather, that is always changing, dramatically changed. About two days after that messy weekend the weather like it does so frequently here changed dramatically. Two days after that messy weekend the sun came out and began a warming trend. This past weekend we saw highs nearing 80F! I had my shirt off and was soaking up the vitamin D!

Since the weather has been cooperating, lots of work has been progressing. Last week the garden plots got tilled up. These aren't good pictures because the soil and the dried grass and weeds kind of blend in. There are four "plots". The main plot in the center is 30'x45. It's flanked by to plots that are 30'x12'. And the last plot is running along the front of the three others and it is 62"x6'.

The middle main plot will be for all root crops, greens, tomatoes, and along the back I plan to have a trellis for beans and some ornamental gourds

The two side plots are for sweet and ornamental corns and squashes.

The long narrow plot will be for my flowers.

I enjoy growing heritage vegetables. I have a bag in the refrigerator that is packed full of seeds I have been collecting seeds for years Some seeds last a very long time others don't. I'm just going to experiment. The other experiment will be working with this very loose sandy soil. I need to add LOTS of goat manure and old hay and some chicken manure and bedding to build up the organic matter to help retain moisture. I do plan to water with soaker hoses and lay down some sort of mulch that these awful winds don't blow away.

If you look very closely the plots are all in line with the corner of the barn. The small pine tree in the upper right sits at the edge of the long narrow flower bed running across to the barn. behind that is the one corn plot to the right, the big veggie plot is center, and the other corn plot is to the left close to the barn.






No comments:

Post a Comment