Friday, October 9, 2009

New additions

Yesterday I picked up three new Ameracauna chickens for my flock. One rooster who was free and two hens. These birds with add a lot of color and variation in the flock. Ameracaunas are the birds that lay the blue-green eggs. I don't however know if my birds really meet the requirements set by the American Ameracauna Breeders Club. According to them many commercially sold birds are nothing more than chickens that lay blue-green eggs. I have not gotten up close and personal with my birds (if ya know what I mean) to see if they meet the standards as purebreds. I just know I want blue-green eggs someday soon!


The rooster


The very timid hen born Aug 27th




And the silver hen was born Aug 6th with the rooster

2 comments:

  1. The new chickens look great. The grey hen should soon be laying eggs for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the roo and the grey hen were born august 6th, so they are merely 10 weeks old... the little mc murray hen, she came in the box with her fellow pullets on augu27th, so she is just about 6 weeks or so. yeah, they are about 4 weeks apart, it sounds right. :-) so... no eggs from ol'grey yet for a while still... sorry. i doubt she will lay before she is 6 month old, depending on the weather and your barn lighting of course. :-)
    Dorit

    ReplyDelete