Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What a weekend

This weekend was a great weekend for me.
Meet my Alabama farmer friend Rob
After two and a half years a very close friend from northern Alabama came out to visit me. His plan was to go nowhere while he was here. All he wanted to do was to help me get things done around here. That's telling you how nice he is. Rob arrive Saturday afternoon during the first part of nasty ugly weather. That morning there were several multiple car accidents on I-25 in Colorado Springs because of ice. He got here safely from DIA. We had lots of time to talk about animals and his 55 acre farm and all his great collection of animals and about my place. Rob has donkeys, cattle including a long horn, chickens, a couple hogs, geese, ducks, turkeys, and a beautiful flock of Jacob's sheep. Google Jacob's sheep to see how cool they are.

The weekend was pretty dismal and very cold for a visitor from Alabama. I felt awful about it but we managed to still have a nice time. We talked, drank hot tea, and watched movies. The weather was very odd. Fog rolled in early Saturday during the freezing weather. temps were between 6-23F most of the time. The moisture began collecting on everything creating what appeared from a distance as snow but it you looked up close the ice crystal were forming all kinds of cool shapes. We got some very interesting pictures you can see below.

Sunday I was kind of stir crazy and wanted to get out a bit but the roads were very icy. We ventured over to the Matrix Compound to borrow the flatbed trailer. We need to get some 16' cattle panels to add to my fencing in the barnyard. I have never driven my truck on ice until then and adding the 16' flatbed to the mix made it well, interesting. I had a very hairy experience when I put on the breaks going about 30mph as I approached an intersection. I lost control and the trailer began to fish tail then the truck did too! I did manage to keep it on the road and at the end was pretty much in the right direction. Now Rob is setting next to me saying "it's OK, take it easy, it'll be OK" Blah. blah, blah! LOL! If you know Rob you'd now that his dander is hard to raise, his relaxed attitude is hard for me to understand, we are total opposites when it comes to that. LOL! I don't suppose his heart skipped a beat during all of this. Mine shut down! LOL! I was a ball of nerves for the next hour!

We did manage to pick up the fencing, a water heater and heat lamps for the chickens, went to eat, and hit the W (Walmart) before heading back home. It was a scary ride for me but quite pretty at the same time. We unloaded the trailer then took it back. We picked up Tuscon, the young Nubian buck that I want Tuesday bred to. Pics to come!

Sunday evening we watched Into the Wild and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I really enjoyed Into the Wild. Of course it's a sad story for the most part. But for me it was very thought provoking and brought up a lot of feelings and thoughts about my life. I want to blog more about all the soon.

Monday we woke to a beautiful sunrise, enjoyed some tea, talked some, then Al came over for breakfast and a chat. After that Rob and I began a fast pace attempt to get a lot of work done and we succeeded. I am grateful for his incredible help. We got my goat pen expanded and the chicken run fenced in. All that needs done is a gate and fencing over the top to keep out the predators. Al helped us get their rototiller over here so I can break ground on a new garden. We had a very full day. Rob headed back to Denver at about 330pm to stay over at Micheal's (my roomie) so he could fly back home this morning.

I had a full and nice weekend with his visit here and I'm hoping to be able to fly to AL sometime in late spring after my garden is in so I can work on his place and return his awesome favor.


Rob was lucky enough to land this nice little rig at the airport rental




No comments:

Post a Comment