Friday, August 28, 2009

Fail or Pass

Not until the last few years have I really attempted to take all things that I'd more than likely think as a total failure or total mess up and turn them around and consider them valuable learning experiences. Oh sure, I still like always beat myself up more than anyone else could ever do when I do really mess up but bruises eventually go away! LOL!

So tonight was my first night covering for my friends who own the Matrix Compound. They wanted to get out of town, err, go into town until late tomorrow night and they asked me to milk the goats and watch things for them. Now some would think that milking a few goats isn't all that big of a deal. But when you have to learn it all and write down step by step everything involved there is quite a bit to do! You first need to learn some basics. I learned a few the other night when I was in "training". First off, how to assemble the milking system making sure that seals are made and hoses are connected. Make sure you understand that goats can be very smart ... close the paddock gate while they are distracted by the alfalfa so you don't have to chase them through the pasture! Don't run to them ... if they want grain during milking they'll come to you! It's much easier to spray teats for protection from mastitis while the goat's teats are staring you in the face on the milking stand than racing around the paddock with the can in your hand trying to hit teats on the run! Animals cookie treats area a great invention! If you have to bring a goat back in to strip her (getting the last of the milk out) because you forgot to do it before you took her off the stand sunflower seeds are a good diversion! And finally remember that when it's all done nothing is more important than spraying the teats to prevent mastitis!

Now some may read this and have their own opinions on what's the right or wrong way do get through your first session of milking more than one goat like I normally do. All I have to say is "Don't question authority!" LOL!

So tonight even though I had a couple blunders and back steps all went incredibly easy. Yes, I waited for the pasteurizer to finish, washed the equipment, closed all the windows, sprayed for flies, and I even cleaned off the milk stands and swept the parlor! Each goat came to me with the exception of one who just stood in the hut looking at me until I came to get her. None ran away or put up a struggle. Everyone got animals crackers after milking as a treat for making my first night a pretty easy one. So let's hope that tomorrow night goes just as smoothly!

No comments:

Post a Comment