Friday, August 21, 2009

Storms

The other day when I was working in the barn the day was clear and beautiful. Far to the east I noticed a small fluffy cloud and wondered if it might turn into a storm. Boy, did I underestimate my guessing. By late afternoon that cloud moved to the west and stirred up one heck of a strings of storms all along the range. From Pueblo north to Monument we had bad lightning, nasty black rolling clouds, and tornado warnings. I sat in the living room with a friend from Denver for a couple hours watching the weather plastered on the news and the storms outside the house. We had heavy winds around me but no real rain. the storms encircled the area. Then by about six p.m. it was just about all over.

Then as I went to bed the winds picked back up and the black clouds covered the sky from north to south and east to west ... and then the lightning began. The odd thing was that there was no thunder yet. by 930 though it hit, and it hit hard. My bedside light flickered as I was reading, the thunder vibrated the house and was flashing so regularly the it looked like emergency lights were flashing on my walls. I don't have curtains up so the house lit up completely.

Storms and interesting skies always catch my attention. Out here because I have such a vast area that I can see I get views of storms and clouds that come from miles away. In the next blog I will share some of my pics of sunsets, sunrises, and the storms forming.

No comments:

Post a Comment