Friday, August 7, 2009

Wandering Bear Farm

I grew up on a farm in central Ohio. I have lived in big cities all over the U.S. and I had the opportunity a few years back to live in the north Georgia mountains. It gave me the chance to realize that I loved and miss the simple country life. I moved to Denver in April 2008 with a very dear friend. We shared a house over a year together while I kind of got my bearings, and I got to travel, camp, hike, and fly fish all over Colorado. The past year has been a whirl wind of activity. I have seen and done a lot. Through this forum I intend to share the pictures and stories of those fun times.


How I landed on this ten acres in El Paso County, Colorado is a whirl wind of a story itself. I have friends who own a ranch in El Paso County just east of Colorado Springs. Last year after I arrived in Denver we met online and I offered to drive down and help them shear their alpacas. That in itself is a fun story. Anyway, this year they asked if I could help again. So on July 1st I arrived at the ranch to work and help out a few days. During that time I met some of their friends at a dinner. One of them mentioned that I was interested in moving to the country. Someone quickly said "move here" and I point out that being very drawn to the Four Corners region I wanted to live down there. I really had no intentions of living in this high plains grasslands area. I wanted red rock, juniper, and the feeling of spirit I get each time I have traveled there. Well someone said that there was a small farm house just down the road from my hosts that I should consider. I really wasn't interested but at the prodding of the guys they drove me to look at it. I can't say that it was love at first site but I saw that there was potential. We called about it and asked to view it. I walked into the house and for a farm house I was pretty impressed. The price was very nice and well within my limit, and by accident the owner's daughter told me the barn came with it. Later I found out she was suppose to add money on if I wanted the use of the barn. Oh well! In a matter of two days I looked at the place and signed the lease. I drove back to Denver happy as a flea on a fat dog but very nervous about telling my roommate what I had done and that I'd be moving. I think he was in shock for awhile but I think eventually he came around full well knowing that I was pursuing my dream.


The "spread" is about ten acres, has a small newly and nicely renovated farm house, and a small, very solid cinder block barn, and just four trees. I have a great view of Pike's Peak and Cheyenne Mountain to the west. To the other three directions I see rolling hills and grass, pock marked with a few weather worn trees and a few small farms and homes. The rest is grazing land. I have my desk in the south end of the finished attic. I love sitting here and looking down onto the barn and the skies beyond. I have watched magnificent storms brew over Pike's Peak and sometimes hit like a freight train. Two days after I signed the lease the well went dry. Lucky for me I was up in Denver packing. It took about a week to get a new well dug. Sadly though I gave up sweet well water from the old well and now have hard water with a very light scent of sulphur. I have learned to ignore that and a water filter helps rid the bad taste. It took over two weeks to get all my utilities on but it did happen. Prior to getting hot water and Internet I stay here a couple nights on a borrowed twin mattress just to sleep at my new place. The first night I woke to a tremendous lightning show! I absolutely love thunderstorms and the whole event lulled me back to sleep. We've had a storm roll through it seems like daily. Far from the normal here. Everything is green right now and it should be parched brown. I have been hard at work in the barn and not the house getting it all set up for my animals. I had to gut the interior that was filled with make shift stall and pens from a prior tenant. I have, with the help of friends at least got a pen and paddock set up for my first purchase. I now own a three year old Nubian milk goat and her doeling. The mother was named Nicole when I bought them. The baby had no name. So since it was on a Tuesday that's what she got named! I also have rescued two Polish Crested hens, two Japanese Bantam roosters, three Phoenix roosters, nine pullets (hopefully) that I purchased at the local livestock auction, and a trio of Mille Fleurs, a rooster and two hens. Up until today I have been working at a fast pace to get the animals in clean safe homes. It's been a physically and financially challenging time. Do you know what it costs just for fencing? Geez! But with all that said, I am happier today than I have been in years. As I mentioned before, the barn has a priority so I have kind of been keeping the house on the back burner. I unpack when I'm not dawg tired and I have some inspiration. I have been joking that I am saving the house for the long cold winter ahead ... maybe I shouldn't joke. My neighbor told me that one year a snow drift got up to the second floor of my house, that I should tie a rope from the house to the barn for finding my way in white outs, and that I need to stock all needed provisions for times I get snowed in. They have been snowed in for a week and a half before. It all sounds like scenes from Little House on the Prairie! I'm just missing that cry baby Laura and her sexy dad Charles! LOL! If only I could look so sexy in long hair, a straw hat, and his bagging suspendered pants!

No comments:

Post a Comment