Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Looking back

A very dear friend who I lived near when I lived in the north Georgia mountains called me this morning. We hadn't talked on the phone in any deep meaningful way in a long time. Patti is a potter. That is to say she works with clay. And her art keeps her in high demand in galleries of the Georgia mountains and now in Atlanta. So between her busy life and mine we have hard times connecting. I have enjoyed sitting down and hand writing long letters to my friends but time and some pain in my hands really limits that. So today we finally connected! She's a follower of my blog and usually sends me wonderful comments that kind of encourage me to continue. This morning's conversation focused on the pictures from my now well viewed Labor Day party. I have had loads of compliments from followers of the blog as well as members of a chat site I belong to. I've had comments from literally around the world!

Anyway, Patti was recalling her thoughts about how far I've gone with myself, how I've grown, definitely how I have changed, the way my life has improved, and how blessed I am having my little circle of friends developing. I guess maybe from the outside Patti and you that follow this blog may perceive my new life out here in the country as pretty darned nice. But up until this past weekend and then my conversation with her I didn't look at it that way. I am or can be a very driven man. I have an obsessive compulsive behavioral streak that I got from my grandfather. So where you may see a pretty picture of a well taken care of farm and a fun party I was seeing weeds that I missed mowing, the messed up barn, a chicken coop not quite the way I want it, dust in the house, and pictures that still needed hung before the party.

The call today was a wake up call for me. Patti (as usual) was able to sweetly kick my britches and made me realize that in the grand picture I have a lot to be thankful for. This weekend the friends who'd not seen my place before really seemed to be impressed with what I have here and what I have done with it all. I guess in truth I am pretty darned proud of what I have accomplished here so far and need to give myself a bit of credit. But I tend to like to look to the future and see what it all could really be. I do have big plans for this quaint little place. I want to thank all of you who read this blog for your kind words and your encouragement to write more and post more pictures. I do kind of feel like I get to share Wandering Bear Farm with all of you in some way or another. I'm flattered you take the time.

Hugs,
Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment