Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Uh, from Summer to Fall? What's the deal?

OK, I don't even know how to write this blog other than to say that in a matter of 24 hours I have seen the gambit of weather here at the farm. Yesterday's blog gives you a recap of at least the mornings weather that took place. When I got up this morning the wind had declined dramatically bit there was one change in the landscape .... I could for the first time living here see snow on the mountains! It wasn't a big shock, in fact I was expecting it, and I was just hoping the clouds where high enough above the mountains to see the peaks. I attempted to get pictures from my office window. I could make out snow capped peaks far to the south and end of the Sangre de Christos mountain range. Approxiamatley 100 miles from what I am told. But haze interfered with the pictures.


I was asked to take my friend Bill to the Colorado Springs airport this morning and here's one of the shots as we headed into town looking west to Pike's Peak and Cheyenne Mountain.





Excuse me, but I was taught in elementary school that we had four seasons, Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. The simply question is: "What the heck happened to Fall?" I understand from pics on the news that the Aspens have turned in the mountains. But my Box Elder and Elm trees are still quite green! And for the record, yesterday was the last day of Summer!!! Come one now!


And apparently animals are indeed good weather predictors. The goats and the cats have not once ventured from the barn the last two days. I guess it's time to buy heaters for the water tanks and get the window installed in the barn that's been missing.


Tonight they have announced a winter storm warning for northern El Paso County predicting 3-7" of snow. Yeah, I live in northern El Paso County!


Ever since this region and especially Colorado began getting lot record breaking rains this year I began predicting a long, white winter. Now that I live out here I am sorry that I predicted that ... I really do suspect that we might have a lot of snow this year.


I have come to a quick realization that this blogging might be more of an extension of The Weaher Channel than that the Farm and Garden report! Hopefully in a matter of a couple months I will be able to see my dreams come true and you'll be reading volumes of blabbery about what seeds are germinating, and the challenges of gardening in the dry high plains at about 6,500 feet above sea level. Yes, I am a dreamer. And dreaming gets me through life and through the rougher times of life ... Spring will arrive soon! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment