Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Welcome to the house

So, after weeks of working in the barn and on cleaning up the yard I was pressed into getting the house all pulled together for the now talked about Labor Day party. Yes, I have even had people I don't know ask to be invited next year! I finally realized after someone pointed it out that I don't have pictures of the interior of the house. Here's a bunch of shots of it. If you don't know me I do have a streak of decorating genes in me. Not that you or anyone else may like how I decorate but I guess it's my own brand. I like collecting eclectic stuff and throwing it together. Many of my objects have a meaningful story to me and I enjoy the house being filled with them.

As a special note I want say a special thanks to my friend Al Livingston who so willingly allowed me to hang some of his paintings in the house for my party and my enjoyment. Not only do they express my love for the desert south west but they really gave life to the house. He'll be hard pressed to wrangle the back from me! LOL! (Only kidding Al!) Please visit his website - http://www.livingston-art.com/gallery.html I think if you like the art of the desert south west you will enjoy his work. I another blog I want to show you the pieces hanging in my home right now.


I am starting at my "front" door which to most all of us is the back door of the house. But in the Colorado country the front is the back and the back is the front ... we're still talking doors here folks! LOL!

The front door and some of my hardy cactus and succulent collection. The first room is the mudroom. I love this room. I can take off and put on my dirty clothes and shoes and it keeps the house much cleaner.

Into the mudroom. The pitchfork on the left and two of the rakes we my grandfathers. My exceedingly wonderful adopted mom bought me the chicken painting a few years ago. It finally has a great spot. Below my work hats is the steps down to the cellar. It'll be a great storage area after I get all my packing boxes and junk organized. More room for Christmas and holiday decorations!!! Yeah, I can hear some of you groaning about my collections.



This is the coolest part of the room. The shelf and clothes bar. This was here when I moved in and has become the hub of action. I rest my hats and hang all my outdoor clothes here. Note the cowboy hats! And there's two felt hats in the boxes! I'm so proud - LOL!



The doorway into the kitchen and my buddy and guard dog (G)


Just a cool flour bag giving color to the wall next to the washer and dryer area

As you look into the right this is the view of the kitchen. Yes, I like refrigerator art.

Turning left is the archway into the living room

To the left some more is the stove and doorway to the stairs on the right and the bath on the left

Into the bathroom ...
My storage and some collectibles

The business area


Now you are looking into the living room and into the bedroom on the left



Moving counter clockwise ...




A peak into the bedroom from the living room
Now in the bedroom and again moving counter clockwise ...
My Zuni fetish collection and some of my other Native American gifts and finds.




Now back in the kitchen you walk through the little hall and go right ... "Up the wooden hill" ...


The attic area is split in two by a chimney and a short stud wall. One side is the extra twin bed I threw up here to sleep on when company stays over. I have slept up here a couple times and it takes me right back to my bedroom as a kid on the farm ... with the exception that I had to walk on splintery wood floors and the walls had no drywall on them. But the sound of the rain on the tin roof always lulled me to sleep up there. On this house it's shingled but I can still hear the rain pound, feel the vibrations of the thunder. and watch as the lightning as it lights up the sky and the Attic.



You are now looking from the other end of the attic where my desk is setting that is next to the south window over looking the barn and the hills and mountain range beyond




As I sit here finishing this blog at about 1145am MST a gentle rain has finally broke loose from the clouds and I can hear it hitting the tin roof of the barn, a rooster is crowing, the grass birds are signing, and off in the distance a hawk is calling ... and Jimmy Stewart thought he was in a wonderful life. I think I have trumped him today.

2 comments:

  1. I don’t know Barry... I think I may have you beat. As I sit here reading your blog, I look out of my office window to see a light rain hitting the cars parked on the rooftop of the five story parking garage across the street. The sun is gradually breaking through the clouds creating a lovely glare on the car windshields. I don’t see any birds but can only imagine little critters scampering about the sidewalks below. In a distance, I can see the traffic slowing on the interstate as rush hour nears. I hear the all to frequent sound of jack hammers at the construction site next door and the ding ding ding of heavy equipment in reverse.
    I am so envious of your life I started counting the months until I can retire and move from this city; unfortunately it is somewhere around 60 or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barry,

    Very nice from when I saw you in August just after you moved. I know you are VERY glad to be out of all the boxes now!

    Evan

    ReplyDelete