Wednesday, September 23, 2009

WBF Weather Station Update

7:30am MST

Temp 36F
Wind Chill 22
Winds from E/NE
Wind Speed at 29
Gusts at 32

I guess in a way we lucked out over night. The predicted 3-7" of snow was nothing but lots of rain. I'm not complaining. The issue about not wanting snow is that Colorado depends heavily on winter snows. So as we get deeper into Winter my wishes not to see more snow really need to be controlled. Like any other good farmer and gardener I don't want to have sprinklers on my gardens all summer long. It's my feeling that we waste far too much water anyway. These irrigation derricks all around my place suck out thousands of gallons of water daily to grow sod. This watering system is one of the most wasteful types there is. When the aquifer drops or dries up the sod Barons will be rich and can move away to greener pastures. The smaller farmers and ranchers who if lucky scratch out a living each year will be stuck with thousands of acres of dry lands and dry wells. Water, and rich ranchers are king out here in the west. The laws complex, and not on the side of the small families trying to live their dreams. I wish there were a way to get everyone to be more aware of wasteful water practices. In a future blog I will talk about the simple ways I reuse and recycle water, plastics, paper, compost all I can, and try very hard to watch my electric usage. And I save a bit of money at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment